What to Do After a Car Crash
Even the safest drivers are likely to get involved in a car accident at some point in their lives because of the negligent behaviors of others out on the road. For this reason, it is important for all drivers to understand the steps to take after a car accident to ensure that everyone receives proper medical treatment and collects the correct information.
Steps to Take
Each accident is different. However, no matter if the crash is major or minor, there are a few basic steps to follow afterward of which all drivers and passengers should be aware:
- Check for injuries.
- Call for emergency medical assistance immediately, if necessary.
- Move away from the vehicles and out of the path of other traffic.
- Contact the police in order to file an accident report.
- Exchange personal, insurance, and vehicle information with any other party involved.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident.
It is important to contact a police officer even in minor accidents so that the police department has a report of your accident on file. Only discuss the accident with the officer, not the other party involved, and inquire about how to obtain a copy of the report. Keep all of this information in case it becomes necessary to contact a Wisconsin car accident attorney later on.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident, you may be able to pursue legal action against the party responsible for your losses. To learn more, contact a Wisconsin car accident lawyer from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® by calling 800-242-2874.